Sunday, March 20, 2005

Reality Setting In

Today (Sunday), so far, has been a day of rest. To pick up where I last left off….

After Pekalongan we drove another 7-8 hours to Pangandaran, which is on the southern coast of Java. I felt quite privileged to see interior Java, not many foreigners would venture beyond the major cities or beach resort towns. We passed by rice fields, jungles, villages…. images that I’m finding a hard time to place into words (hopefully I can post up pictures soon).

Pangandaran is a beach town that the locals go to. After the Tsunami, visitors have been scarce even though it’s located in a bay far removed from the zone. It was sad to see so many empty shops and stands, ghostly-hotels and idle restaurant owners. We took a hike in the nature reserve, watched the fishermen pull in their nets, and beheld the glory of a sunset and sunrise on the Indian Ocean. The beauty of this place makes me hold my breath in awe and wonder; creation proclaims the works of His hands.

We spent a day and a half at Pangandaran and then made our way back to Bandung. We picked up some snake soup and stir-fry noodles with snake meat and ate it with the other dishes that Extravagant Grandma had laid out for us when we got into town.

Got back to the Lok’s home around 9ish… cleaned up and tidied my suitcase… and that’s when I realized that my plane ticket is missing. Somewhere between Jakarta and here it got misplaced… still looking, but I’m not too worried since no one else can use it without my ID. We’re going to contact the airlines tomorrow and hopefully it’ll be sorted out… hehe.

Today we went to Bandung International Church. I went through a momentary culture shock to see so many foreigners in once place. During the worship service, the reality of this place suddenly sunk in. Just before we arrived in Indonesia, a massive landslide of trash buried an entire village in the Bandung area. 170 people died and the church was quick to respond to send a team to help with relief efforts. They already have had 50 ppl sent to Aceh to help with the Tsunami relief efforts there… just last week they sent a team of teenagers to help rebuild a high school and to distribute much needed clothing and supplies. Missionaries from all around the world are here, working together to bring relief and hope… living out the gospel as it was meant to be lived out. I was moved to tears to hear the prayers offered in this place, and God is answering by changing hearts and revealing His glory through ordinary people.

There’s much to digest, in my stomach in and in my heart. Sigh… ‘til next time…

Di

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home