Monday, April 04, 2005

Nothing Like Home

Well I'm back in E-town. The weather is apparently "warm" but my body is telling me otherwise. It's also telling me that I should be sleeping when I am awake.

I arrived in Vancouver at 11:30AM after a 15 hour flight. I slept for a whole of 30 min on the flight, despite the fact that I had maybe 30min of sleep the night before. So I spent my time watching movie after movie on the airplane. I love Singapore Airlines - you get your own video screen (with plenty of movies, tv shows, and games), the food is decent, they give you free decks of cards if you ask, and the service is impeccable (I even saw a steward walk a toddler down the aisle). For interest sake, here are the movies I watched to and from Singapore:

- Bridget Jones Diary 2
- Finding Neverland
- Ray
- The Aviator
- Closer
- Bride and Prejudice
- Ocean's 12
- 2046 (a HK movie)

After such a long journey, it felt good to step onto Canadian soil. It felt especially good to line up at the "resident" line at customs. I feel more privileged than proud to be a Canadian. We have so much here: freedom, democracy, high standard of living, public education and health care, a plethora of cultures, vast lands of wildlife and nature... I could go on. I'm not saying that other countries don't have what we have or that we have everything, I'm just expressing my appreciation for the many things that we do have and take for granted.

Interestingly enough, we didn't plaster Canadian flags all over our bags. Many people thought we were Singaporean, until we spoke. And when they asked, we didn't have any qualms stating that we were Canadian. However, there were some confusion over the fact that one can be both Chinese AND Canadian.

So back to Vancouver... it was overcast and soggy. I stayed with my feisty cousin L ( I hope you found your faceplate) and while she attended a wedding I had dinner with P & C at Shabusan - the all-you-can-eat Japanese/Korean bbq place. Yes, more food. We ate until we couldn't do anything else :).

Sunday, 4:30PM: I'm finally back home. My mom greeted me with a big hug and told me the funniest story. When the earthquake happened, my two older brothers, god-mom, and several of her friends were freaking out about me. My mom, however, thought to herself "she's not in Indonesia when it happened so she should be ok," and really wasn't all that concerned. When ppl kept bugging her she thought that she must look like a bad mother for not worrying so she pretended to worry. Hehe, my mom is great!

Monday: Back to work! My plan was to upload some pics after work but I ended up sleeping instead. Now I'm finishing my laundry and trying to clean up the explosion of clothes, gifts, and souvenirs in my apartment.

Pictures to come tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home